Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 39 July 20th

Lander to Dubois 95 milesI definitely woke up with a hangover this morning. So between that and knowing I had a long day with a lot of climbing ahead of me i didnt really want to get out of bed. IM sure going from sea level to 7000 feet wasnt a big help either. I got some food from Safeway on the way out of town and headed out a little later than usual. It was a tough but cool ride with th mountains to my left for the entire morning. I missed not having my speedmeter though for some of the downhills.
I stopped at a rest area to refill my water bottles and ran into 3 guys going cross country too. JAcob was from Denver and going to Astoria and Joe and Jordy were from Illinois and going to OR also. As we were leaving Jordy pointed out that my tire was a little low so i pumped it up but tore the tube as I took the pump off. They waited for me for a few minutes but I told them they could go ahead and i would catch up. I didnt see them again though. It took me forever to fix my tube. After each time I thought i fixed it I would find another hole. Most of the day was spent on the side of the road fixing my tire. I think it happened four times over the course of the day. Eventually i put my spare front tire which isnt the right size but i knew that it didnt have any holes and that Jackson was just on the other side of the pass. Luckily it did hold out for the rest of the day. Along the way were some great views. I would describe it as similar to the Grand Canyon but on a much smaller scale. The Wind River cut into the rocks to make some of the same sort of formations and even colors. This library isnt very good and i cant upload pictures here either. The Wind River really liv4ed up to its name though by forcing my though a headwind the entire way.
Dubois had a gas station with a sign for a Jackalope which is a 6 foot tall rabbit with antlers. I stopped there for a picture and some gatorade. about 15 miles past Dubois I i finally reached the campground where i was able to shower. I fell asleep next to the river and got a good nights sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment