Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 17 May 28th

Hardin to Sebree 90 miles

Lucy made breakfast of eggs, toast, and sausage biscuit which were all very good but unfortunately wasn’t enough carbs for the long day ahead. I left around 9:30 but I was passing into the central time zone so I would be gaining an hour. The weather wasn’t very nice in the morning. It was overcast but there was no rain. I started having a little trouble with my gears again but it was all sorted out by the end of the day. But besides a few slow points I was averaging over 15 mph for most of the morning so I was really happy with that. I stopped at a dollar store to get some new socks but they were quickly soaked too. I found an all you can eat pizza place for lunch in Whitesville so that was awesome and was able to get filled up on carbs.

The sun came out in the afternoon but there were more storm clouds on the horizon. Luckily I only got drizzled on. Other people said they got soaked so I was feeling pretty lucky. There was a strong wind though in the afternoon, especially after I got through Utica. Utica was where the people from the Adventure Cycling group were spending the night. I met some of them but wanted to push on and didn’t meet the whole group of 14. One of the people is on a recumbent bike, the ones where it looks like you’re more in a chair and your feet are in front of you. It looked like it would be impossible for him to make it up any of the hills.

I got to Sebree around 5 and called someone listed on the door of the church that would be able to let me into their basement. While I was waiting for the guy, Danny from a few days ago walked passed and said he was staying there too. He said that another girl, Dolly, should be coming in later too. The place is great! Laundry, food, shower, mattress, tv, sofas, and ping pong. It’s a real treat and I feel like I’m getting spoiled.

Danny and Dolly are both really nice. She is going to OR too but is having knee problems that keep her from doing a lot of miles. I’ve decided I want to get back to PA by July 16th so I can see the midnight showing of Harry at home with Ali and Greg. Riding 80 miles a day should get me there with a few rest days built in but no many. So I’m really going to have to move and probably save some just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment