Friday, June 12, 2009

Day 31 June 11th

Wetmore to Guffey 51 miles
Since I did more then I was planing yesterday I knew that today would be pretty easy. I left Wetmore before 8 after some peanut butter and headed for Canon City (pronounced Canyon) to see if I could get a little more breakfast. The road to Florence, where I wanted to get to last night, was completely down hill. I did the 13 miles in about 45 minutes. But it still would have been too much and would have gotten me in too late.
I got some pancakes with a lot of butter and syrup at a diner in Canon City. But almost more important, I was able to fill up my water. There was a good amount of traffic leaving Canon City but the shoulder was wide enough that it was fine. There were some pretty challenging hills especially when I turned onto Rt 9. I gained about 2500 ft over 30 miles. Most of the way was gradual but there were a couple stretches of a few miles where I would have to be in one of my lowest gears to get through it.
I made it to Guffey around 1:15. While I was riding I kept thinking to myself just do 10 mph and I'll get there in 2 hours. But some points on hills I would laugh to myself that just doing 7 mph would still get me there by 2 pm. When I was in Guffey a guy in a pickup stopped me and asked if I was looking for a place to stay. I recognized him for another blog as Bill, the owner of the hostel in town I was planning on staying in. He set me up in a bunk and pointed me towards some food. Rita's Place in Guffey was great. I got a green chili pizza with jalapenos. It was very spicy and very good. Rita let me use her computer which she got specifically for bikers since there is no cell service. Rita said that it hailed today but I only got a light shower. Guffey is a weird town. There are probably less than 100 people living here, they all seem to have out houses, and I can't find the shower or Bill. This is definitely not a tourist town but there is a lot of character.
I can't wait to sleep in a bed tonight. The first since Virginia.




No comments:

Post a Comment