Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 25 June 5th

Toronto to Hesston 105 miles



Pretty good nights sleep last night without any problems. I didn’t pay to stay in the park so I thought I should leave as early as possible. So I got up before 7 and was on a bench in town eating my peanut butter for breakfast by 8. The morning was pretty tough. I was on a major highway, KS 54, where there was a lot of traffic, including tracker trailers and the speed limit was 65 and there usually wasn’t very much of a shoulder but there was enough to get by. The trucks were really bothering me though. They were creating so much turbulence some times that it was hard to control the bike. At least the ones coming from behind created a slight draft for a second that I could use to be pushed forward but theses could still push you around. But the ones coming in the opposite direction could almost stop you in your tracks if you were going up a hill. But the tractor trailers were a little more cautions than the cars and pickups. Plus the wind was from the south/south west so slightly in my face.
But after 41 miles of traffic and wind I could turn off the highway and onto a smaller road headed north. I had 17 fantastic miles with the wind at my back and virtually no traffic. It only took an hour to do the 17 miles to Cassoday where I was planning on having lunch. They had a buffet there with pulled pork, potatoes, baked beans, and peach cobbler. All of which were great. So I was feeling pretty good after lunch and ready to tackle the remaining 50 miles.
I was heading west again so there was no help from the wind but there was very little traffic on this road. It was 38 miles to the next town and all I saw for 3 hours were cow farms. So I started singing and talking to myself and I occasionally would yell at the cows. I got a big kick out of it sometimes when they would run away and I would laugh out loud but I was in a pretty weird mood and it kept me positive for the long boring stretch. I used the library in Newton so I was sure to get enough time online before the one in Hesston closed. I made it to Hesston around 6:30 after almost 8 hours of riding. Subway for dinner and my campsite has warm showers so I should be in for a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment