Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 18 May 29th

Sebree, KY to Eddyville, IL 90 miles

There’s always something to ruin my sleep. At 11:30 last night the toilet flooded the basement. I was up for an hour mopping it up. There was something wrong with the suction in the back and by the time I fixed it water was everywhere. So I didn’t get to bed until almost 1. I did get to watch the office on tv though.

Riding in the morning was good. It was relatively flat with the same sort of rolling hills and farms lands. I met two British guys named Bill and Steve Adventure Cycling group outside the Dixon library. They did about 40 miles by the time I did 12 but they start really early and I was leaving the library as they were getting there. Plus they said they only do about 55 miles a day.

I crossed the Ohio River into Illinois by taking a ferry. Right before that I met Dolly’s mom. She was one of the original people who rode across in 1976 and is supposed to be the first person to talk to the Cookie Lady and tell her what was going on. So I have her to thank for my first night in doors and out of the thunderstorm. I like IL a lot more than KY. You can actually ride on the shoulder since there aren’t rumble strips everywhere and the roads are in much better condition so far. The scenery is similar though with the same sort of farms and hills so I doubt I will be taking many pictures. There were still about 4 major climbs in Il before I got to camp and they really broke my spirits. My back wheel is bent and I had to remove the back break so it could fit through. That took about an hour of playing with it and now I only have the front break.

I made it to Eddyville eventually though and found the campground that was recommended. Danny was already there and setting up his camp. I was able to get another shower there which makes 5 days in a row. I didn’t have any soap or shampoo but it still helps. The campsite also had a restaurant with another all you can eat buffet with meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and salad. I’ll probably get a good nights sleep tonight since I’m pretty tired.

When I was walking back from the bathroom I looked up and saw the stars for the first time. I hadn’t really noticed it before but they are really beautiful. I’m definitely going to take more notice on the nights where I’m not staying in a town.

No comments:

Post a Comment