Friday, June 12, 2009

Day 30 June 10th

Ordway to Wetmore 80 miles
Last night wasn't very restful. There was a cow farm about 2 miles outside of town and the wind carried the smell of it into my camp. So my tent smelled like cow crap all night. I figured out/ remembered that my fruit that I had bought earlier smelled really good so i slept with my plastic bag full of fruit next to my face. It really made a difference. So much So that when I rolled over to the other side the cow smell would come back and I would have to move the bag to whichever side my nose was on.
Peanut butter and an apple for breakfast. I did the 60 miles to Pueblo in reasonable time. I didn't push it too hard since I knew I had all day and I wasn't planning on going passed Pueblo. I first went to the library to find out where the bike shop was and i figured this town was big enough to have a Chipotle so I checked that out and was right. Next i went to the bike shop and now my back tire is fixed and maybe more importantly my bake break is usable. I asked the mechanic where i could get a good burger with green chili on it and he pointed me to a restaurant close by. The burger was called the "slopper" and I have never seen anything like it. I wish I had brought my camera into the restaurant to take a picture. It was a bun with 3 patties covered in green chili sauce. And i don't mean that there was sauce on top, it was all over. It was more like a soup with a bun and hamburger in it. The waitress brought a spoon over with it and I had to ask how you actually eat it. She explained that you don't pick it up like a regular burger but you eat it with a spoon. It was very good though.
I went back to the library after lunch for a few hours to do all sorts of random stuff and kill time. At around 5 I left for Chipotle. It was great and I've really missed it but I don't think it gave me very much energy since I was pretty tired for the final leg to Wetmore. I was planning on staying right outside of Pueblo in a campground on the lake but I missed the turn. By the time I realized that I missed the turn I had already gone up and over a pretty big hill and I decided to just keep going instead of climbing the hill two more times.
The closest town on the map was Florence which was about 30 miles outside of Pueblo. But but it was really slow and I was pretty tired even after the long rest during the day. I only made it to Wetmore where there wasn't any place listed where I could camp. But I rode by a church that was letting out and I asked them if there was anyplace I could camp. Brian, the pastor, said that there was a park right next door and it wouldn't be a problem if I spent the night there. He also said that I could get a shower at his house so I was very happy to hear that. I thought he was a little less creepy then Chad since he was a pastor and everything.
His family was great! His son Shane was in town before being shipped out to Iraq. Their grandparents were there from MI too to see Shane. They sat around the table playing Pigs and Jokers which is a card/board game that their friend created. I mainly just sat, watched, and listened while they all joked around. Brian offered me some antelope that he had shot. But I was pretty hungry and I think anything would have been good at that point. But they were a really great family and I'll have to send them a postcard when I get to OR.




No comments:

Post a Comment