Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Day 13 May 24th

Elkhorn City
I woke up today to the sound of a banjo and some song from the 1860’s. It was raining a bit so I stayed in my tent and read one of the books I brought along. When I finally looked at my clock after what seemed like hours of reading I learned that it was only 10:45 and I was ¾ of the way through the book. I finished the book just in time for the reenactment that afternoon. It was kinda dumb since you decide on your own when you are going to get shot. But I got a bunch of pictures and now I can say that I’ve seen one. There was a person dressed as Lincoln and I wanted a picture with him but I couldn’t find him once it was all over. Most people packed up to get ready to leave right after the show was over and only on tent was there by nightfall.
I started reading my second book in the afternoon as everyone was leaving and while I was doing that I heard three voices that didn’t have a Kentucky accent and they sounded young. So I turned around to see three guys about my age on bikes. Thank god. James, Jed, and Sean live in Chicago. Jed and Sean are traveling together and James met up with them and coincidentally is living in Chicago but originally from PA. We got dome food at the dinner and killed some time before setting up camp. We tried to get a case of beer but we learned that Elkhorn is a dry town. Sean made a fire and we all sat around talking under some trees while it rained around us. My tent let in some water from around the zipper but its easy to get out and as long as I keep the dirt out it doesn’t get to annoying.They were all really cool guys and I would like to have spent more time with them but they were only doing about 50 miles a day and I wanted to make up for lost time.

No comments:

Post a Comment