Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Day 14 May 25th

Elkhorn to Lexington by cab, Lexington to Berea 50 miles
I called the cab at 7 and was packed and ready to go when it got here at 7:30. I didn’t say goodbye to the guys since it was early and they said they usually sleep till 9. I feel kinda bad about it especially since I don’t have any of their contact info. The cab ride was fine and there were a lot of good views of the mountains. I’m pretty glad I didn’t have to ride through anymore of them though. Alex the cab driver was alright. He told me he worked about 18 hours a day and smoked 5 and a half packs of cigarettes a day.
I got to the bike shop around 11 and everyone there was great. They helped out a ton and they even offered my free doughnuts. I left by 12 and all I had to do was stay on Route 25 to get to Berea. It poured as I left Lexington but everything that was packed away stayed dry. I was soaked but it wasn’t too bad since it was pretty hot out.
I met some really helpful ladies at the Berea tourist center and they let me use their own computer and told me where an all you can eat Chinese place was. Yesterday James had told me how he had been staying at fire stations and they would let him shower there and everything. So I decided to give that a try and it really worked out great. I got my third shower of the trip and am camped out behind their station. It might get loud tonight but it’s free and I got a shower so there are no complaints. I spent about 90 minutes in the Chinese place and took a break to write and call home between servings. This is the first time all trip where I am actually full and its great. When I got back to my tent I spent some time hanging out with the firefighters before bed. They were a lot of fun and had a ton of good stories and kept me laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment