Saturday, May 23, 2009

Day 7 May 18th

Lexington to Christiansburg 97 miles
Got up after a bad nights sleep on the hard ground. I went off to grab breakfast at the store right by us and left Mike and Dan eating their packed cereal. The store was closed until “10ish” and since it was only 9 I decided to find a McDonalds. It was a little off trail so they fwouldnt find me but I felt I could catch them. Along the way I stopped at Natural Bridge which is a 500 million year old bridge carved out of the mountial by a streem at the bottom. Its one of the 7 wonders of the natural world and I thought that the $10 was ok. I was able to use my GWorld to pretend I was still a student for the reduced rate.more hills through the Catawba river valley but great views of the mountains and farms. I ended up crashing at one point. It was totally my fault. I thought I missed a turn and went back to check. When I was turning arround I hit some gravel and my rear tire came out from under me. My hip hurts pretty bad but whats worse is that I popped my rear tube. Fixing that wouldn’t be a problem but my spare tube had a hole in it too. This one was brand new and right out of the box so I was pretty upset. Eventually another cyclist, Colin Krause, came by and offered some help. He gave me some patches to fix my tire so it was good enough to ride. We got to talking and he offered me a place with him and his girlfriend, Becca. His house was only 3 miles away and the place I was planning on staying was another 12 so it was a no brainer to stay with him since I was tired and it was getting late. He’s a member of WarmShowers.org which is a group of people that put other cyclists up in their houses and gives them a place to stay for the night. When we got back to the house Colin help clean my chain and even check my breaks. I got my first warm shower with soap and shampoo. They both invited me to dinner and I was happy to treat and the least I could do. I got to sleep on their futon and was so appreciative after the long ride. I never did see Mike and Dan and I probably left before they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment