Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Day 4 May 15th

Altee to Palmyra 89 miles
I was woken up twice in the night by kids walking past my tent and once again by a train in the morning. The kids didn’t really know what to make of a tent being back there but I was glad I had my mace next to me. McDonalds for breakfast and was on the road by 9:35. Most of the way was flat except for a few hills. I messed up my gears when I was about to climb a pretty steep hill so I coasted back to the bottom and planned to fix the gears and start the climb from scratch. But when I got to the bridge at the bottom I got a closer look at the creek that it passed over. It was really picturesque and I thought I could use a break and wash off a little. After that I decided to keep my bathing suit closer to the top of my pack.
I reached the post office in Bumpass and sent home some shirts and a book that was a little heavy for me to be carrying. A few miles up the road I stopped at a gas station to refill my water and met two other people doing the Trans America Trail. I didn’t get their name but they were a father and daughter from Alabama. She had just graduated college and he worked for the government down there. I rode with them for a little bit but had to leave them because they were only doing 15 more miles when I was planning on doing about 40 more. The daughter had a pretty good deal going on since her dad was the one paying for everything.
There were more hills along the second part of the day with a lot of creeks and horse farms. The best part of the day though was when i rode past Cooper Vineyard. They had a sign out front saying they have vine tasting everyday from 11-5. I had 3 reds and one white. My favorite was the Cabernet Franc 2007. Its a definite step up from Charles Shaw. But what made the tasting even better was that it was all free!
I got to Palmyra after about 6 hours of riding and immediately went to the diner for dinner where I got a sandwich and a big bag of Doritos. I left my bike under the bridge in town and went to take a look around the river. When I got back to my stuff, I saw this guy in a truck eating his dinner. It was pretty weird someone like that but I guess he could say the same thing. His name was Ryan and he worked on the county’s computer system. We talked for about an hour as I washed my feet off in the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment