Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Day 2 May 13th

Warsaw to Yorktown, VA 93 miles
What a long day. I got out of bed around 7, packed by 8, had bagels at McDonalds, and on the road by 9. It was surprisingly flat most of the way but there was a terrible headwind that dropped my speed to 12 miles per hour. But most of the way I was coasting pretty easily at about 15mph. I lost my Ipod! I was keeping it in a small bag with my wallet and when I went to get my wallet for lunch it fell out and I didn’t notice until about 20 miles down the road. So now I have no entertainment on the road. I wasn’t planning on using it much until I got to places like Kansas where there isn’t much to see or much traffic but it would have been nice to listen to some music when it’s dark and there is nothing to do at night in the tent. I guess I'm stuck with reading and writing in my journal.
The road leading into to Yorktown was a little treacherous. I planed it out and there were only a few options I could have gone with but the roads were not very friendly to bikers. There were lots of tractor trailers and the shoulder, if there was one, was in disrepair. But I made it safe and that’s really all that matters I guess.
Yorktown is a quaint little town on the water with a few touristy shops, restaurants, historical sites and a beach. I crashed on the beach for a little bit since I was spent after the long day of riding. The battlefield there reminds me a lot of Valley Forge back home. There are more ramparts in Yorktown but a lot less buildings.
I found a camp site a few miles from the official starting point of the Trans America Trail. I was a little shocked that it was $30 a night just to set up a tent but I was exhausted and figured it would be a lot less than any hotel I could find. After setting up my camp I went to a pizza place and eat a large pizza by myself. The people there were shocked that I was able to eat the whole thing but Leo, Andrew, and Sean should all know better especially after riding over 90 miles.
I'm really excited about starting the actual trail tomorrow. The weather forecast is calling for rain though. Let’s hope that these roads have more of a shoulder.
My ass is killing me from sitting in the seat for so long but it should get better over time. It’s only 9 o’clock and I should be able to pass out in no time tonight so hopefully I will be well rested for the day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment